Friday 3 September 2010

African Laughter: Four Visits to Zimbabwe - Doris Lessing

Probably more useful as background reading than as a text I will use directly in the course, but I'm glad I read it all the same.

It's especially interesting to read about how Mugabe was perceived in the 1980s, which is completely different to the way he has been portrayed in the (British) media since I became aware of him, in the last 10 years or so.

Since finishing this book, I have also started reading around the methodology side of the course, and have come across activities that might work well with short excerpts from this book. Doris Lessing includes lots of descriptions of the landscape which, to me, weren't as interesting as the events and the people she describes, but might be useful in introducing Zimbabwe or doing some activities I read about which make use of descriptions of settings. Not sure yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © A blog about a thesis
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com