Monday 23 August 2010

Nine African Stories - Doris Lessing

I enjoyed most of the nine stories, and the other features of the book - the discussion questions at the end are interesting, as is the sequence of photos of "the Rhodesian Scene". I haven't read Lessing's own introduction yet (I often leave Introductions til the end, they seem to make more sense that way), but I think that'll be insightful too.

On the individual stories themselves:

"No witchcraft for Sale" would be a good one to use, I think, because it is self-contained within just a few pages. I have a few other excerpts on magic, juju and ritual, so it might fit in nicely there.

I liked "A Home for the Highland Cattle", and it raises interesting issues, but it is quite long, and, if I were going to use it, I am not sure yet how I would reduce it. Its point of view is interesting; an Englishwoman recently arrived in Rhodesia for the first time. Seeing things through her eyes might be an interesting contrast with someone who has lived there their whole life and is accustomed to the way things are (Alexandra Fuller´s mother, for example).

"The Second Hut" is the first thing I've read so far that has much to say about relationships between different groups of white settlers - in this case, an English farmer and his Afrikaans employee. When I was reading it, it didn't seem long, but reviewing it, it is actually quite lengthy, so I might have to reduce that one too, if I end up using it.

"The Antheap" is a great story, but it´s long, and all of it is important, so I think making a reduced version would be tough.

In all of these stories, the events themselves, the characters and themes are what's interesting. From the New Englishes point of view, there isn't much to say about the language they are written in, it's fairly standard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © A blog about a thesis
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com